Parenting is an adventure like no other, and since my eldest son has been on summer break, I have realized just how easy it is to get lost in the busyness of life.
And although I find parenting to be the best experience of my life, I often feel like I am battling it out like Hiccup and Toothless. Searching for new adventures while trying not to stir up more than I bargained for.
While watching Dragons: Race to the Edge with my six-year-old, I realized parenting has much more common with life on Berk than we might think.
Here are my five ways parenting is like a dragon adventure.
- You realize their curiosity can be both fascinating and dangerous
- Some days are hard, and you simply want to give up but find the strength to pull through.
- Too many hours on the road often leads to discovering hidden treasures.
- Looking for new places to uncover requires lots, and lots of planning.
- At the end of the day you realize you wouldn't be you without your crazy brood.
Before becoming a parent, many might think parenting is all sprinkles and sunshine. Before embarking on Berk, Hiccup and Toothless probably thought the adventure would be all play and no work.
In both cases, the truth is nowhere near what anyone expected.